Friday 20 July 2018

The Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag| CarenzaOnBooks

As we are already over halfway through the year, I thought it would be interesting to look back at my reading year so far. This year has been the best reading year I've had in a while as I've been pushing myself to read more. I've seen this tag floating around the book community and thought that I would do it myself.

1) Best Book You've Read So Far

I'd have to go with Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman. There was so much hype around this book with the movie coming out and so I decided to read it. I read it in one day because it was so beautiful and I was engaged in the story so much. I really want to watch the movie so badly to see how accurate it is.

2) A New Release You Haven't Read, But You Want To


I've been really strick with my book buying this as I've been trying to be responsible with my money (trying being the key word), but a new release I was really excited about but haven't bought is Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. I've heard so many good things about this book and I think I'll really enjoy it.

3) Most Anticipated Release For The Second Half Of The Year

Obviously, it has to go to Queen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra Clare. I've already pre-ordered two copies and am probably going to get another two. I have been waiting for this book ever since I finished Lord of Shadows. I'm dying to read it!

4) Biggest Disappointment Of The Year

I know this book is a bit like marmite; you either love it or hate it and for me, I fall into the latter. I was very excited for Zenith by Sasha Alsberg and Lindsey Cummings, but oh boy did this book fall flat. I gave it 1.5 stars. I really did not like it and will 100% not be continuing with it. To be nice to it would be to say it was dull. There were very few redeeming qualities to this book (the only one I can think of is the ending).
 

5) Biggest Surprise Of The Year So Far

Hands down, the biggest surprise of the year was Let Me Tell You About A Man I Knew by Susan Fletcher. This book was beautiful. The only reason it wasn't my favourite of the year so far was that I didn't like the ending. But, her writing is beautifully poetic and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
 

6) New Favourite Author

I struggled with this as I've read a lot of new authors this year, but I wouldn't call any of them my favourite. But if I was to choose, I would say Neal Shusterman. I picked up the Scythe series and have read both the books that are out. I really enjoyed this series and was pleasantly surprised by finding a good dystopian novel.
 

7) Your Newest Favourite Character

Honestly, I find it very hard to pick favourite characters as I tend not to get too attached to them. But Simon Spier does hold a special place in my heart. I've yet to see the movie, but I flew through Simon Vs the Homosapiens Agenda in one day. He's a good egg, in my opinion.

8) A Book That Made You Cry

The only book I have cried it is a reread of Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. I don't cry that easily at books, but there's one scene that gets me every time. It might have also been because I read this scene at about 3am when I couldn't sleep.

9) A Book That Made You Happy

I would say that reading The Nowhere Girls by Amy Reed made me happy. This book was so inspiring due to its feminist content. I would love to read more books by Amy Reed as The Nowhere Girls was fantastic.

10) The Most Beautiful Book So Far

Cover wise, I would say The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert (I didn't like the actual book though), content wise, I read A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway and that book is good. I love the 1920s and so reading about so many great authors in Paris makes my heart sing. I really want to go back to Paris now I've read this book.