Thursday 30 December 2021

tick, tick...BOOM! Film Review (Contains Spoilers)| CarenzaOnBooks

Taken from Google Images

Title- tick, tick...BOOM!
Creators- Lin-Manuel Miranda and Steven Levenson 
Cast- Andrew Garfield, Vanessa Hudgens, Alexandra Shipp, Robin de Jesús, Joshua Henry and Judith Light with an ensemble cast
Genre- biographical musical drama
Length- 2 hours
Platform- Netflix
Rating- 5/5 stars 





Plot


Tick, Tick... Boom! (also stylized as tick, tick... BOOM!) is a 2021 American biographical musical drama film directed by Lin-Manuel Miranda in his feature directorial debut. Written by Steven Levenson, it is based on the stage musical of the same name by Jonathan Larson. The film stars Andrew Garfield, Robin de Jesús, Alexandra Shipp, Joshua Henry, Judith Light, and Vanessa Hudgens.



Opinions  

tick, tick...BOOM! was a film I have wanted to watch for a while. I'm a big fan of Andrew Garfield, after his work on Angels in America (my favourite play) and I love Hamilton by Lin-Manuel Miranda, so this was a must watch for me. I have watched the trailer more times than I care to admit, already impressed with Andrew Garfield's performance. I watched this shortly after it came out and I was blown away. An easy favourite for the year. 

Taken from Google Images

He's been praised so many times for his performance as Jonathan Larson, but Andrew Garfield was just incredible in the lead role. It was like it was created for him. I have seen Andrew Garfield in a lot of things, but this was easily one of his best performances. His singing was so good, and his acting was up to his usual standards. I believe he deserves some awards for his performance because he really knocked it out of the park. I would love to see him do some musical theatre roles after this as he would excel in them. 

When I say I have been listening to the soundtrack repeatedly after watching this film, I am not joking. In fact, I got the CD of the soundtrack for Christmas and I cannot wait to listen to it all the time. My favourite song would have to be Therapy because it's very clever and kinda manic. The whole cast are incredible. These songs have a way of getting stuck in your head. I have random lyrics rattling around my head. 

You can tell that so much love went into this film. Of course Lin-Manuel Miranda's directorial debut would be a film like this. It was a love letter to theatre and the great Jonathan Larson. I didn't know much about Jon before watching this film, other than he wrote Rent and he died young. This film radiates love from the writing, to the directing, to the performances, to basically everything. The cameo's throughout were amazing. The one from the late Stephen Sondheim was particularly touching. I also enjoyed Lin-Manuel Miranda's cameo, it was very well done. 

This film has made me miss live theatre a lot. It's been almost two years since I sat in a theatre and was engrossed in a play/musical. It highlighted everything I loved and a lot of feelings I've been feeling myself. I will be rewatching this over and over. Just a beautiful film. 

What did you think of tick, tick...BOOM!?