Thursday 9 December 2021

The Outlaws TV Show Review (Contains Spoilers)| CarenzaOnBooks

Taken from Google

Title- The Outlaws
Creators- Stephen Merchant and Elgin James
Cast- Christopher Walken, Stephen Merchant, Rhianne Barreto, Gamba Cole, Clare Perkins, Darren Boyd and Eleanor Tomlinson with an ensemble cast 
Genre- comedy, crime, thriller
Length- 6 episodes
Platform- BBC iPlayer
Rating- 5/5 stars

Plot

The story follows seven strangers from different walks of life forced together to complete a Community Payback sentence in Bristol. However, their luck changes when they discover a bag full of money, unaware that some dangerous people are looking for it.

Taken from Wikipedia

Opinions

The Outlaws had been on my radar for a while for a number of reasons, but one of the top reasons was that it was set in Bristol, which is where I went to university. After spending most of my final year at home, it was so nice to see Bristol on the screen. Another reason was that I had seen some interviews with show creator Stephen Merchant and it just looked like a good show. I wasn't wrong. This was a funny, entertaining show from beginning till end. That doesn't mean it didn't tackle some series issues, such as racism, family dynamics and societal expectations. The Outlaws was a well rounded show that balanced the comedy and crime/thriller tones brilliantly. 

Probably one of my favourite parts of this show as the friendship between Greg (Stephen Merchant) and Gabby (Eleanor Tomlinson). It was one of those unlikely friendships that just worked. They complimented and supported each other so well. I would happily watch a spin off about the two of them going on a holiday or a day trip together as it would be brilliant. They had each other's back when it mattered, even if they did have arguments. We love to see friends that support each other. I hope we get to see more of their relationship in series two. 

Another brilliant thing about this show was how it subverted the stereotypes in the main characters. The main seven characters were incredible, they worked so well together as an unlikely group of characters. Similar to the friendship between Greg and Gabby, John (Darren Boyd) and Myrna (Clare Perkins) had a strong relationship that took time to develop. They clashed for so long and then suddenly they realised that they could be friends. When they stood up to Christian (the real Christian) at the end, it was a very touching moment. I hope they continue to subvert the stereotypes as it was refreshing to see some of the topics and ways they handled it. 

I think it goes without saying that I am very excited for series two. I want to find out what happens to Ben (Gamba Cole) and who this mysterious Dean is, played by Claes Bang. I have a feeling series two might be the last one as if they tried to extend it too much, this show would loose it's charm. I would like to see it go out with a bang and have a great ending. The writing, directing, performances and setting were fantastic. An easy favourite of the year as my family and I flew through it. 

What did you think of The Outlaws?? Are you excited for series two??