Monday 19 July 2021

Favourite Films and TV Shows of 2021 So Far| Carenza Bramwell

As we are now over halfway through 2021, I thought it would be fun to look back at the year and talk about my favourite films and TV shows. As of writing this, I have watched 90 things. I have watched 59 movies and 31 TV shows. I have been rewatching a lot of favourites, including a complete rewatch of the Marvel films. I went through my list of things I've watched and picked 5 favourites. 

The Queen's Gambit

A highlight from the start of the year and one I still can't stop thinking about. I have a full review, which you can read here. I don't know how they did it, but they made chess an engaging subject. Beth and the other characters all had something about them. They were icons. I loved this show so much that I have since read the book and feel that the show is superior. If for some reason you haven't watched the show, you really should as it's one of the best I've watched in a while. The writing. The acting. The set design. The whole package. It was incredible. 

The Mauritanian 

Despite the dark subject matter of this film, you can't help but feel hopeful as it ends. Tahar Rahim as the central character brings light to an otherwise quite bleak film. As it's based on real events, it can leave you feeling angry that this happened. I still want to read the book that this is based on. I think the other cast members are just as strong in their performances, but this is Rahim's film. I'd recommend doing some research on this film before watching it. It was another one where all the elements came together to create an amazing film. You can read my review of it here
 

Shadow and Bone

I was not expecting to like this show. I hadn't been the biggest fan of the books so I didn't see the hype around the show. A friend of mine convinced me to watch it and I ended up watching it twice. I was that hooked that as soon as I finished watching it for the first time, I started watching it a second time. I went and reread the books because of it. They made some great changes as I really don't care for the books. I have a full review of the show, which you can read here. I think it goes without saying that I am very excited for series two and for them to introduce some of my favourite characters to this show. 
 

The Machines vs the Mitchells 

If you are looking for something funny, heartwarming and beautiful, then look no further. This is probably my favourite film of 2021 so far. It was great from start to end. I loved the characters, the animation, the story. I don't think there was a single thing I didn't like about this film. Olivia Coleman voices the villain and is clearly having a blast. At it's core, this is a film about a family coming together despite being very different. I loved all of their storylines. I think, to put it simply, I loved this film. 

Breeders Series Two

I watched this series in one day because I could not stop watching. I had rewatched series one and thought it was good, but this series knocked it out of the park. Obviously as it's a second series, I won't be going into details so I can avoid spoilers. They threw everything they could at these characters. I found the storylines really engaging. They tackled some important topics. The performances were superb. If you are looking for a new sitcom, then I'd strongly recommend this one. This is a show about parenting and as someone who is very much not a parent (and won't be for quite some time, if ever), there is something for everyone in this show. We all know people like that. 

So that was a very quick list of my favourite films and TV shows of 2021 so far. I'll be doing an updated one at the end of this year, with hopefully some more things on it. Have you watched anything from this list? What are some of your favourites so far?