Monday 11 December 2017

How to Have the Perfect Reading Day| CarenzaOnBooks

Over the weekend, the UK turned into a winter wonderland as snow covered most, if not all, of the surrounding areas. As much as I love snow and going outside to build snowmen and snowwomen, to me it screamed perfect reading day. This is something I definitely want to do in the future, and recently I discovered a really cool Icelandic tradition which inspired me to write this post.

Taken from Google images
As much as I would love to participate in this, it's actually my dad's birthday on Christmas Eve, so I think I may not be able to participate in it just yet. But, here are some of my tips on how to have a perfect reading day!

Plan Your Reads Ahead

As bookworms, it feels as though our never-ending TBR will one day crush us, whether this physically happens to us is another thing. So plan your reads ahead. My book of choice was The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien as I feel as though it's time I read these books. You may want to tackle a big book like The Lord of the Rings or you may want to tackle a few smaller books. Just make sure come your reading day, you have all the books you want to read. You can also use this as an excuse to buy some new books......

Pick Your Reading Room

I spend half my time in my bedroom anyway as its where I do all my work, so to me, my natural habitat became the perfect spot for a reading day. Make sure it is tidy in advance as there is nothing worse than not being able to find your bed amongst the piles of clothes that need putting away and books you have littered around your room. I tided my room and made sure there was room for me and my books. For me, my bed is my favourite place to read as it's very cosy and in my room, I have two large windows, meaning there is lots of natural lighting. I have fairy lights adorning every surface for when it gets dark as well.

Turn Off All Electrical Devices 

In a day and age where everything seems to be online, it can be hard from switching off for a while. Unless you want to listen to music, try turning off your mobile device for a couple of hours. I have fallen back into the nasty habit of watching YouTube before I go to bed and losing precious hours I could spend reading. I can only speak for iPhone users (as I have an iPhone myself), but try switching your phone on night mode while you read.

Remember to Eat and Drink

I know it seems stupid to say this but, eating and drinking is very important. I have been known to get so absorbed in what I am doing (whether this is college work or reading) and forget about the lovely hot drink I made myself, which has now gone cold. I don't feel as though I need to lecture you on the importance of staying hydrated but remember to have a drink every now and then. If you are looking for a recommendation of what to drink, then I would highly recommend Whittards Mulled Wine Instant Tea. As a non-tea drinker, this is the perfect winter warmer. 

Have Little Breaks

As I've already admitted, I sometimes forget how to function like a human when I get absorbed in what I'm doing. I know that we love to read and reading days are lovely, but remember that it's important to stretch your legs. Even if this is just a five minute (or less) walk to the kitchen, it's good to get up every now and then. If you have a furry friend, why not play with it or take it on a walk? If it's snowing, pester your family to come outside and build a snowman. Seriously, even if it is only a ten-minute snowman, you're still getting outside.

Have Fun

At the end of the day, the most important thing about your reading day is to have fun. I know what it's like to get to a place where you feel like you can't have fun because there is so much to do. But at the end of the day, you need to have these little breaks and moments of fun to have something to look back on. And think about how your TBR might not crush you if you get some books read off it.

So that concludes my post on how to have a perfect reading day. Let me know if you do this as I would love to see what you guys do!
Carenza x