Thursday 23 September 2021

Lord of the Rings Tag| CarenzaOnBooks

Having recently rewatch the Lord of the Rings films for the first time in quite some time, it's gotten me in a very Lord of the Rings mood. I adored these films as a kid and I used to listen to the 1960s/70s BBC audio production on repeat. I have only read The Fellowship of the Ring, but am planning on getting to the series soon. I stumbled across this tag on Mary and the Words' blog, which you can read here, and knew I had to do it. 

Taken from Google Images

Middle Earth: The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings

I'm going to have to go with Lord of the Rings. As I've already said, I grew up watching these films, so they mean a lot to me. This was a very tough one as I prefer the story of Lord of the Rings, but I have the attachment to the Hobbit as I actually saw those films in the cinema. But Lord of the Rings is what started me on this journey.

Fellowship: Favourite Hobbit Movie

I love the Desolation of Smaug. We get introduced to Laketown and of course, we get to meet Smaug. The new cast members in this film are excellent. I always enjoy watching this film. 

The One Ring: Favourite LOTR Movie/Book

I'll go with the one I have both watched and read, which is the Fellowship of the Ring. It's what started this quest. It has one of my favourite pieces of music, Concerning Hobbits. It's much lighter in tone compared to the other two in this series and it's where you get to meet the Fellowship for the first time. It has a soft spot in my heart. 

Bilbo Baggins: Favourite Character

Without a shadow of a doubt, my favourite character is Pippin. I have always had a soft spot for Pippin. He's the baby of the group. Gandalf can be very mean to him at times. He has quite a subtle story arc compared to Frodo and Sam. He's cheeky and sweet. He's just the best. 

Dor Guldur: Least Favourite Character

Denethor. I have never liked that character. He was nothing but cruel to Faramir and was easily corrupted by Sauron. I do pity him a bit with some of his decisions in The Return of the King, but asides from that, I cannot stand that character.  

Gundabad: Favourite "Evil" Character

It has to go to Gollum. You can debate that he isn't an evil character, but I would say he is one of the primary antagonists of the series. He presents some interesting dilemmas for our main characters and you're unsure if you should pity or hate him. He also used to terrify me as a kid, so I have to give it to him.  

The Shire: Favourite Place

I'm going to steal the prompt from this question and go with the Shire. It just seems like a really nice place to live, with gorgeous Hobbit holes and those rolling fields. I would very much like to visit the set in New Zealand one day and see them in person, especially as two of my friends have been.  

Rivendell: Favourite Species

I really like the Elves, especially the Rivendell Elves. They are so eloquent, yet kind to others. They welcome in the Fellowship and seek to protect them. Plus that elf hearing and agility sounds quite nice. 

Misty Mountains: Do You Have a Favourite Quote from the Movies/Books?

It's probably a bit of a rouge answer, but I really like and frequently quote Pippin from The Fellowship of the Ring with this line- "Anways, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission...quest...thing". It is of course then followed up by Merry saying "Well, that rules you out, Pip". I love this scene a lot. It's one of my favourites. 

Mirkwood: Would you rather be an elf, hobbit, mankind, dwarf or wizard?

100% without a shadow of a doubt, I'd be a Hobbit. I want to live in a Hobbit hole and enjoy my days with nice food and pretty surroundings. In the evenings, there would be trips to the pub before curling up with a good book. Maybe a bit more like Frodo and Bilbo, and go on adventures before coming back. But a Hobbit nonetheless.  

Gondolin: Favourite Durin's son

I am going to choose Kili, and that's partly because he's played by Aidan Turner in the films. There seems to be a theme to my favourite characters in that they're cheeky and sweet. I'm excited to see what he's like in the book when I get around to reading them. 

The Nine: Favourite fellowship member

My most recent rewatch has convinced me that Aragorn is my favourite Fellowship member. Throughout the films, we see him being nothing but kind to those around him. He always takes the time to talk to others and make them feel welcomed. He's heroic and goes on an epic development journey. He stands out as the best member of the Fellowship of the Ring. 

Sindarin: favourite weapon

My favourite is Sting. It's small, it's practical and it's Hobbit sized. One day I'd love to own a replica from the Noble Collection as it just looks amazing. 

Minas Tirith: Do you own any LOTR/Hobbit merch?

I own two Pop Funkos, one of Frodo and one of Pippin. I have a small figurine of Gandalf from when the Hobbit movies where coming out and they started selling magazines with figurines. I have a poster that my best friend got me and a postcard from Hobbiton as she's been. I'm not sure if this counts but I collected a lot of the Lego sets as a child and had a lot of fun building them. I'd say it's quite a small collection. 

Gig-Galad: Would you have changed something from the movie?

Honestly, I wouldn't change anything. I know that a lot of people don't like the Hobbit movies, but I adore them. I am a big fan of the extended editions and believe they have everything in a person could want. 

Minas Morgul: Gandalf or Saruman? 

It has to be Gandalf! Not just because he's a great character, but because I met Ian McKellen in passing in 2019. He was doing a series of shows for his 80th birthday and I got to say thank you to him at the end. I did miss out on a selfie opportunity, but I'm just happy I got to see him in person. 

So that concludes my answers to the Lord of the Rings tag. If you are a LOTR fan, please do this tag and let me know!