Monday 28 June 2021

Cruella Film Review (Contains Spoilers)| Carenza Bramwell

Taken from Google Images

Title- Cruella
Creator- Dana Fox and Tony McNamara (writers) and Craig Gillespie (Director) 
Cast- Emma Stone, Emma Thompson, Joel Fry, Mark Strong and ensemble cast 
Genre- crime, comedy, drama 
Length- 2hours 15minutes 
Platform- Disney+ or the cinema (UK)
Rating- 4/5 stars 





Plot

A live action prequel feature film following a young Cruella de Vil. 
Taken from IMDb

Opinions 

Taken from Google Images

Cruella was my first cinema experience since March 2020. I think it was a really good film to see in the cinema. I had seen the trailer and thought it was promising. I am glad I saw it in the cinema. I have missed it so much and can't wait to go back more now it's safer to do so. If you can and feel able to, I'd recommend going and seeing it in the cinema. It's a solid cinematic experience. 

I will get my only negative out of the way now. I felt that the plot was questionable. It was very much you just have to roll with it as it wasn't the best. Her origin story was that her adoptive mother was killed by her birth mother who used some dogs? It was a bit weak. However, I think if you remind yourself that it's just a film, then it's okay. Asides from this plotline, the rest was good. I liked that she was unapologetically herself and you can see her moving towards the Cruella we know from 101 Dalmatians. 

Taken from Google Images

The performances were great. Emma Stone and Emma Thompson were clearly having a blast in this movie. The rest were also having a great time. I think the cast made this film. They made the story believable and enjoyable. You really can't go wrong with having Emma Stone and Emma Thompson in your film. One of the best casts I've seen in a long time. 

Taken from Google Images

The music and set designs were also impeccable. Honestly, aside from the plot, I didn't have any problems with this film. The costume designs were amazing. Someone clearly had a lot of fun designing all of these amazing costumes. The punk-rock music went alongside this so well. I don't want to repeat myself, but everything but the plot was great in this film. 

Taken from Google Images

This was a thoroughly enjoyable film and surprisingly good at that. You leave the cinema feeling empowered by this story. I would happily watch it again and I know a sequel is in the works, which I would be excited to watch. They can have some fun with this character and take her on this journey towards becoming the puppy killer we know she is.   

What did you think of Cruella?