Friday 7 June 2019

Ian McKellen on Stage Review| CarenzaOnBooks

From Ian McKellen's Website
In May, I had the privilege of seeing Sir Ian McKellen on his 80th Birthday Tour in my home town. As soon as I found out about this tour, I was desperate to see it. McKellen is such a well-known actor, I wanted to see what he was like in person rather than through a screen.

The premise of the show is all about McKellen's life and his journey to becoming the actor he is today. It took you through all of his famous roles from Gandalf to the many Shakespearian parts he has played in his life. You also learned more about him as a person from his upbringing in Bolton to his time at Cambridge. 

An important part of the show was McKellen's sexuality and his involvement in LBGT activism. He was the second ever gay man to be knighted. He told us tales of how he rebelled against society and was openly gay from a young age. It was heartwarming to see him talking about something that he was clearly passionate about.   

The show overall was captivating from beginning to end, with all the money raised going to charity. I knew very little about Ian McKellen before seeing this show, but afterwards, I had a newfound appreciation for him. I look forward to seeing what he does next and wish him the best of luck on the rest of his tour.

The set

A blurry photo of the Programme